Thursday, May 17, 2007

On Being a Mother



Last Sunday, I celebrated my first Mother’s Day. It was indeed a glorious day. Aaron and I attended church, had brunch, visited with my mom and sister, received numerous happy mother day calls and cards, and had dinner with other families who have or are in the process of adopting from Ethiopia. Although I was beaming all day long, I felt deep sadness for Addison’s birth mother and family. I pray that they have peace in knowing just how much she is loved. I thank Addison’s birth mother from the bottom of my heart. I will forever be grateful to her for giving life to the child that has given our lives new meaning.

I had planned on writing an entry expressing what joy Addison has brought to my life and what motherhood means to me. Simply stated, the joy I’ve experienced being a mother has far exceeded my expectations. It’s now days past Mother’s Day and after 11:00 PM. I’m just too sleepy to put my own thoughts into words…so I’ll borrow someone else’s. Below is a poem that succinctly expresses how being a new mother changes your life.

Becoming a Mother Changes You

Motherhood is an experience
that opens your eyes and your heart
to exactly how magnificent and amazing the gift of life is.

When you become a mother,
it is amazing how your feelings,
viewpoints, goals, and priorities change.
With one look into your little baby’s eyes,
you understand what things
are truly important in this life.

Author ~ Donna Newman